Mission to Montenegro newsletter
Blog entry for 18 January 2018
January 2018 Mission to Montenegro Newsletter
The Lord has established his throne in heaven,
and his kingdom rules over all. Ps. 103:19
Grace and Peace to you in the name of God our Father!
The scripture above are such words of hope and encouragement! Whatever the year 2018 brings, we know we are safe in Christ, loved with an everlasting love by the One who rules over all.
- Thankfully, the Samaritan's Purse/OCC Christmas Shoebox distribution went well! The director of a local small theater gave us free use of the premises for a mega-day of gospel presentations and shoebox giving. Additionally, over the course of a week, several surrounding villages were willing to allow a religious presentation (despite opposition, see below) to accompany the shoebox delivery to schoolchildren.
- In our Sunday services, Stan continues preaching from various Psalms and from the Gospel of Luke. For Christmas Sunday (1/7), he preached from Matt 1:18-23 with an inspiring look at the coming of Jesus as God, Son, Savior, Immanuel. Last week, however, we were away on a ministry visit, and Peter S and Saša O took the pulpit--Saša for the first time. Praise the Lord for faithful young men!
- Along with an outward reach during the holidays, we've also been ministering to fellow missionaries--providing time and space and fellowship in our home-- as well as traveling to encourage one of our own members doing a yearlong internship in London in order to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together... but encouraging one another all the more...
- The advance of God’s Kingdom does not go unchallenged. As Jesus says: In the world you will have trouble. A local, widely-read FB page denounced the OCC Christmas Shoeboxes, promoting the false idea that we are a dangerous sect. On Christmas morning, we found our church sign (the one above) defaced and spray painted over. We rejoice, however, that Jesus continues: But take heart! I have overcome the world.
Upcoming Ministry and Prayer Requests:
- Please pray for the ongoing ministries of the church: the teaching, the preaching, the discipling, the various outreaches. May God be pleased to bring many to salvation through the power of His Word and the love of His people. And pray that as we are busy about the Kingdom, that we would personally press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
- Please pray for us as we seek to demystify Protestant/Biblical Christianity. A longstanding problem we face is the notion and blind prejudice that anyone who is not Eastern Orthodox is a sect (ie, cult). One reason for this is the complete lack of knowledge of the Reformation. Our desire is to engage in a broad, public education via newspaper articles, radio, and interviews, following up what we began last October with the Round-table forum on the 500th anniversary of the Reformation. We realize that this is ultimately a heart/moral problem, not merely an educational one, but getting the truth out there is definitely a needed step.
- We will once again be Stateside this coming May to celebrate our son’s college graduation. And, in the weeks on either side of the great day (May 19), we would love to visit churches—old supporters and new friends—so please contact Stan directly so we can make it happen!
With great love and appreciation for your ongoing prayers and support in this great work of God,
Stan and Vicki Surbatovich
Mission to Montenegro
Original link: https://christianitymontenegro.blogspot.com/2018/01/january-2018-mission-to-montenegro.html