Mission to Montenegro newsletter
Blog entry for 18 December 2019
December 2019 Mission to Montenegro Newsletter
For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given;
And the government will be upon His shoulder.
And His name will be called
Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Grace and Peace to you in the name of God our Father!
With end of the year and the end of the decade drawing near, we reflect on how privileged we are to be here in Montenegro, proclaiming the Son, Jesus Christ, Emmanuel, of whom the increase of His government and peace there will be no end. And we rejoice in the certainty of knowing that our labor is not in vain, for the zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this. Hallelujah!
- Stan is currently preaching through Exodus 17 in our morning service. We continue to see the entire gospel played out in this foundational book as God is with His people and rescues them again and again, proving Himself the faithful covenant bearer to faithless covenant breakers. This past Sunday evening, Saša (the recent theology school graduate) preached from Hebrews 4, showing forth the superiority of Christ as the Great High Priest.
- Unexpectedly, we will have fewer OCC Christmas boxes to distribute, actually less than we asked for. Montenegro as a nation received the usual number of boxes sent, but a greater number of groups requested packages to hand out. Overall, this is a good thing as more children in more towns, cities, and villages will be reached. Here in Nikšić there will be just one day of presentations on December 24th--please pray for the children and their parents to be touched and pointed to Christ through this ministry.
|Explaining the European Leadership Forum Vision
- In early December, Stan attended an event in Belgrade, introducing the European Leadership Forum (ELF), which seeks to mobilize evangelical Christian leaders working in many fields of life (not just pastors) to stem the tide of atheism being exported from Europe to the world. Upon prayerful consideration, despite the worthy aim of ELF, Stan will be focusing his "beyond the local church" time and energy to furthering the establishment of TGC Southeast Europe and Montenegro.
Upcoming Ministry and Prayer Requests:
- We will have a packed month of Holiday events and visitations.
- December 19: St. Nikola's Day--a major Slava (Saint's Day Celebration)--We'll be visiting two families.
- December 24: Samaritan's Purse OCC Outreach
- December 24&25th: Birthday and Christmas Celebration
- Dec. 27-Jan. 4: Heidi Sharpe and her Hard of Hearing Ministry visit
- December 29: Last Sunday of the Month Festive Fellowship Lunch together
Please pray to God for many opportunities to open our mouths to speak the truth of Christ and the meaning of Christmas in the coming month--for us personally and for all the believers here in Nikšić and Montenegro.
- January 1: New Year's (more major holiday than Christmas here)
- January 5: Pre-Christmas Sunday Evangelical Outreach services (morning and evening)
- January 7: Christmas celebration service with children’s presentation (unbelieving spouses will be attending)
- January 20: St. John the Baptist Day--another major Slava which closes the holiday period. We expect to be visiting a couple of families this day.
- Barring unforeseen circumstances, we will be hosting an intern, Benjamin Burlaga, this summer. Ben has been in Montenegro many times previously in conjunction with Camp Monty, but this internship will be centered on the missionary church/pastoring ministry as required by his college studies. Please pray for us as both hosts and mentors and for Ben as he raises funds and crystalizes what he wants to focus on while here.
- It is with grateful hearts that we find ourselves agreeing whole-heartedly with the Apostle Paul when he writes the Corinthians:
There is no need for me to write to you, for I know your eagerness to help, and I have been boasting about it.
However, it is good for us to be reminded that
Whoever sows generously will also reap generously. God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God. Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, others will praise God.
As the year draws to a close, we want to say how very much encouraged we are by the love and support shown to us through you all. We can attest that many have come to praise God because of your generosity of support. Thank you for the notes and cards, for short emails and longer updates, for faithful prayers, and for the finances to do what we do. Please continue as God enables. Knowing that some have not been enabled, please prayerfully consider increasing your support. There is so much more do in 2020 and beyond!
With great love and appreciation,
Stan and Vicki Surbatovich
Mission to Montenegro
Note: If you'd like to join our team of financial supporters or adjust the gift you already give, here’s how:
If you live in the U.S., you may mail checks made out to: Mission to Montenegro with appropriate memo and addressed to:
Faith Community Church
Attn: Mission to Montenegro
723 South D Street
Oxnard, CA 93030
Website of Sending Church: Faith Community Church Homepage
If you live outside the U.S. do get in touch (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we will give you bank transfer information.
Thank you for your support! Soli Deo gloria!
Original link: https://christianitymontenegro.blogspot.com/2019/12/december-2019-mission-to-montenegro.html